What is QuickBooks Error 61 and how to fix it?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is QuickBooks Error 61 and how to fix it?
- 2 Reasons why you may be getting the QuickBooks Error 61:
- 2.1 Here Are Some Proposed Solutions to fix QuickBooks Error 61
- 2.1.1 Solution 1: Use QuickBooks Rebuild Data
- 2.1.2 Solution 2: Download Reimage Repair Tool to Repair QuickBooks Error 61
- 2.1.3 Solution 3: Update QuickBooks software
- 2.1.4 Download the Recent Updates (if Any) To Resolve QuickBooks Error 61
- 2.1.5 Solution 4: Reinstall .NET Framework
- 2.1.6 Solution 5: Run Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware
- 2.1.7 Solution 6: Re-Sort Chart of Account List in order to repair QuickBooks Error 61
- 2.1.8 Solution 7: Update Company File for New Version to fix QuickBooks Error 61
- 2.1.9 Contact QuickBooks 24/7 Support Experts to Repair QuickBooks Error 61
- 2.1 Here Are Some Proposed Solutions to fix QuickBooks Error 61
Issues and errors on QuickBooks are roadblocks to the smooth working of the financial aspects of any small business or individual. The software does run into errors at times and one error that may unexpectedly arise because of a hidden fault is QuickBooks Error 61. The error may happen when you are printing, expelling, opening an account, adjusting, refreshing, downloading, or uninstalling Windows. There may be different reasons behind QuickBooks error 61 to be popping up and thus there are different ways in which it can be taken care of.
Reasons why you may be getting the QuickBooks Error 61:
- One of the main reasons why QuickBooks error 61 happens is the inability of QuickBooks to execute one of its activities by an application segment or framework.
- There could be an invalid section remaining in the Windows registry by any uninstalled program or a failed establishment.
- Viruses or malware can also be the cause of this error.
- If there has been a sudden power cut that caused the framework to shut down suddenly. There could be other reasons for the shut down too.
- A significant record part of the framework or registry passage has been purposely/mistakenly erased by someone.
- Undeleted registry from last uninstalled QuickBooks
- If the .TLG or .ND file has been corrupted
- If there is a glitch in the framework activity
- If you are using an older version of QuickBooks
Here Are Some Proposed Solutions to fix QuickBooks Error 61
Solution 1: Use QuickBooks Rebuild Data
- Go to the File menu and click on Utilities
- Next click on QuickBooks Rebuild Data Utility Option
- If you are prompted with a notification asking to back up a company file, then go ahead with this step and click OK
- You might get the message “QuickBooks is not responding” on the screen – ignore this message and wait for the process to complete
- When the system completes the process you will get the message “Rebuild has completed”
- Next, click on OK to finish the process
If you continue to get the same error code, then move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Download Reimage Repair Tool to Repair QuickBooks Error 61
Downloading the Reimage Repair tool can also fix QuickBooks error 61. You need to download it on your desktop. Remember, you must have a stable internet connection for the installation of Reimage and it should be updated to its latest version for the program to work effectively.
- Double-tap on the program to open it and proceed with the prompts
- The Client Account Control will prompt to run the program – click on YES
- You must follow the prompts to complete the installation process – you will need to click on YES and then uncheck the box just beside it to permit the You must follow the prompts to complete the installation process – you will need to click on YES and then uncheck the box just beside it to permit the software to repair the instrument
- Reimage will begin its work and check the PC for any damages to the programs and the system
- Once the process is complete it will prompt you all the damages if any and recommend the repairs that are required
- Click on the Start Repair option to fix the damages
- You must wait till the process is complete – it may take some time
- To complete the process and for the fixes to take effect you must restart your system
Now open the QuickBooks program to check if it is working properly or are you being bugged with the error 61 again. If the error persists, then you can try the next solution.
Buy QuickBooks Data Recovery Software
Solution 3: Update QuickBooks software
You must always have the latest version of QuickBooks running on your system. Updates bring with them fixes and new features that keep errors under check.
Download the Recent Updates (if Any) To Resolve QuickBooks Error 61
- Go to Help and select Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Next, go to the Update Now tab
- Click on Get Updates to begin the download process
- Once the download is complete you must restart QuickBooks Desktop
- You will be prompted to accept the option to install the new release
Manual Updates to fix Error 61
If you have selected to download updates manually then here is how you can update QuickBooks Desktop manually:
- Close the company files and QuickBooks
- Go to the Windows Start menu
- Next, you have to search for QuickBooks Desktop. Now right click on the icon in order to run as an administrator
- When you are on the No Company Open screen, click on the Help menu and click on Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Next, go to the Options tab
- Select Mark All just below ‘Select the updates you want QuickBooks to download automatically’ and then click on Save
- Click on the Update Now tab
- Next check the Reset Update – this will clear any previous update downloads that were done
- Next click on Get Updates
- Once the update is completed restart QuickBooks Desktop and when prompted whether you want to accept the new updates then select Yes
Solution 4: Reinstall .NET Framework
Follow the steps to reinstall and repair the .NET framework:
- Click on the Windows icon and search for Turn Windows Features ON or OFF
- Select and open Turn Windows Features ON or OFF
- Click on .NET checkboxes and click then OK
- Next click on ‘Let Windows Update download the files for you’
- When the installation is complete, you must restart the system
Reinstalling the .NET file usually fixes the error, but if you are still encountering the problem, then move to the next solution.
Solution 5: Run Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware
Viruses and malware can cause a lot of disruption and errors. You must have trusted third-party anti-virus protection installed in your system to make sure that your system is free of any such viruses. Windows Defender also does the job, but third-party anti-viruses are much more effective. You can choose to have one that you trust. Run the anti-virus protection in your system and wait till the scanning is complete. The program will prompt you for any viruses and also offer to fix them – click on fix errors for it to complete the process. You can then restart the system to check if QuickBooks error 61 has stopped.
Try the next solution if you still have the error coming up.
Solution 6: Re-Sort Chart of Account List in order to repair QuickBooks Error 61
Re-sorting the QuickBooks Chart of Accounts List may also help in fixing this error 61. Here is how you can proceed with the steps:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop menu bar
- Next, click on Chart of Accounts and check the box just beside Include Inactive
- You will be prompted ‘Are you sure you want to return this list to its original order?’ you need to click OK
- User needs to verify the company file again
- If you see the error, then proceed to the next step
- Whilst merging the damaged account with the new one, a new account will be created
Now try and open the company file to check if QuickBooks error 61 has been fixed, or you can try the final solution that we have for you mentioned below.
Solution 7: Update Company File for New Version to fix QuickBooks Error 61
The latest QuickBooks Desktop version must be launched by the user if you are facing QuickBooks error 61. Follow the below steps:
- Go to File and then click on Open or Restore QuickBooks Company File
- Select Open company file
- Click on Next
- Locate the data file and then click on Open
- The system will prompt you with the ‘Move the file’ message in a new window. You must follow as the instructions are prompted on the screen
- You will find some information in ‘Update Company File for New Version’ you should note it down
- Next click on Update now after you check the box
- Now follow the instructions as you are prompted
- The system will soon prompt you with the message saying ‘You ….company file using…newer version of QuickBooks… Do you want to continue you must click on Yes
- When the update is complete copy the backup that you created and locate for *.qbw files on your hard drive (add hidden files and folders in the search criteria if you are unable to find the data file in the original location)
- When this is done then you must check on the payroll service by signing into your account. You should go to Employees > My Payroll Services> Account Info/Process
Contact QuickBooks 24/7 Support Experts to Repair QuickBooks Error 61
These solutions have worked for most, but if you are still struggling with QuickBooks error 61 and none of the above solutions seemed to have worked for you, then you can get in touch with our QuickBooks error support experts at +1888-727-4587. We have a team of skilled executives that will answer your call. They are adept in QuickBooks and all the errors associated with it. They will help you over the call to solve this error.